History of Peaks Mill Christian Church
The Peaks Mill Christian Church has roots that go back to the Pleasant Hill Christian Church that stood on the west bank of Elkhorn Creek. Pleasant Hill was established July 31, 1849 when James and Mary Church deeded property to Church trustees, Lewis L Sullivan, Alexander B. Bacon, and James M. Graham. The Pleasant Hill building burned and the membership divided. Many in the congregation decided that the “meeting house” should be across the creek at Peaks Mill. Another group went to Swallowfield community and established a Church of Christ.
Land was acquired from Laurence Hannon deeded to Lew Church, Zack Church, Sutter Stafford, Charles Jackson, and M.R. Pierce, Trustees of Peaks Mill Christian Church. The foundation of the Church was constructed from rocks gathered from Elkhorn Creek and transported by mule-driven sleds and wagons. Timbers and siding for the Church came from area trees that were sawed at the original saw and grist mill owned by Mr. John J. Peak. At that time, the Church consisted of one, large room. It still remains as part of the present structure.
On Sunday November 29, 1891, the Church building was dedicated to the service of our Lord. William S. Gitner was hired as the first minister and served until 1893.
For the balance of the 1890’s, the Church was under the leadership of Brother G.W. Foley. It was through his endeavor that in January 1894, the young congregation began an outreach program in Franklin and Owen counties. Monthly meetings were held with these struggling churches.
The one-room structure served the congregation until 1940’s. During the ministry of Rudy Moss, seven Sunday school rooms were added to the rear of the Church. Much of the material used was donated by the Franklin County Board of Education when the old Peaks Mill School was torn down to construct a new brick building. At this time, new pews were purchased for the auditorium. During his ministry, a building lot was purchased; and the first parsonage was erected. Mark Elliott was the first minister to reside in the parsonage.
A major change occurred, when Wendell A. Roberts came for his first ministry in 1952. The front entrance was moved from the corner to the center. A new steeple and bell tower were added. During the first ministry of Harold Hamm (1958-1962), the store bulletin board in front of the building was sponsored by the Builder’s Sunday School Class. In 1960, a kitchen and restrooms were added. In 1976, a baptistery was installed in the building. The largest of all projects was completed in 1982, during the ministry of Lucian Robinson. The fellowship hall and five additional classrooms were added to the building.
Peaks Mill Christian Church ( a special “country” church) has shared the love of God for over 100 years (1891-2009) by welcoming strangers, loving its neighbors, and strengthening the faith of its members.